Baking in Microwave Oven or Convection in India

You can bake In Microwave Convection or Microwave Oven. Convection mode is required for baking cake, cookies and Pizza. Simple Microwave cannot bake.

Written by Anil Gupta
  By Anil Gupta          Updated  8 Jan, 20

192

vegEasy   हिंदी

How to bake in microwave is a common question these days when you have the various additional features, that come baked with a single device especially in India.

Microwave baking concept was popularized by devices that have the convection mode. If your device does not have this mode, baking in microwave is not possible.

Baking in Oven is pretty much same as Microwave Convection. In-fact, new age devices these days even have a combi mode of Convection + Micro that helps bake even faster than standard Ovens.

Microwave Oven is a standard term and the device may or may not be capable of baking, specifically in India.

We are answering all the basic questions related to baking (like cookies, Pizza and cake) with your Microwave device here.

What is the difference between Microwave and Microwave-Oven (Microwave with Convection mode)?

Microwave is a basic gadget that is primarily used for heating. It throws micro-waves horizontally which helps heat up the stuff pretty quickly.

Microwave Oven on the other hand is an extension of basic Microwave. The extension means that it has additional capability to do the Oven tasks as well.

The heating system of a ‘Microwave+Oven’ is a bit more complex and throws heat from all sides and hence helps in baking process. The convection mode is the term which is used by manufacturers to market Microwaves which can also do baking.

Can we bake Pizza in simple basic Microwave?

You cannot bake Pizza in simple Microwave.

Some of the basic microwaves might help you bake something and some people might contest this as well if they have done baking with them.

But, technically, they are not made for baking and you might not be able to achieve the same level of results as you might achieve with Microwave Oven.

Simple microwave can help you cook the cake but would not be able to give the brown crust. If you are okay with sacrificing the brown and crispy crust, you can actually use Microwave for baking as a hack.

We advice you to either use Microwave with convection or Oven. Did you know that you can bake in pressure cooker?

Should we buy a standalone oven or Microwave Oven or basic Microwave?

Microwave with convection mode is the best value for money if you want to do ‘ek teer se do nishaane‘ (solve two purpose with one arrow)

We also did the same and bought the microwave convection while we were in India.

If you do not plan to do any baking, I would recommend to buy only Microwave as it will cost you much less than the microwave with convection mode.

What temperature and time should be used for baking in Microwave convection?

The temperature and time settings should be same in Microwave convection as you would use in the standard Oven.
The recipe should remain same.

What mode should be used for baking in a microwave convection ? Only convection or Micro+Convection combo?

You can use either convection mode or micro with convection mode for baking in microwave convection.

Both modes (simple convection or micro + convection) serve the same purpose. The difference is that micro+convection mode runs on micro mode for some time and convection mode for the rest of the time. This is done to bake the food item on varying levels of heat at different point of time.

For example, if you set total time as 30 minutes, the device will run on micro mode for 30% of the time and rest 70% of time on Convection.

This percentage division depends entirely on your particular device and model. Check device manual for more information.

The device manufacturing companies argue that the micro+convection mode cooks or bakes the food faster than simple convection mode. We have not verified this claim but it seems logical.

Are Borosil glass utensils good for baking?

As per our own experience, we have not found Borosil baking dish (glass) good for baking. They are too thick and we have seen that the cake or any other stuff that you bake does not bake well from the bottom portion.

Basically, the portion which is hidden deep inside the utensil would not bake well.

It is advisable to use other bake-ware made with aluminium or steel with thin skin. This helps in baking the stuff evenly on all sides.

What kind of utensils can be used for baking and simple heating in microwave?

We use the standard microwave safe utensils for heating and oven safe ones for baking.
Normally, it is written on the utensil itself about its safe usage.

What is pre-heating and how can we do it in microwave oven or plain oven?

Pre-heating is a process of getting the microwave oven warmed up before baking.

This is same as you would heat up the griddle before cooking chapati or heat up oil before frying.

These days, almost all new microwave ovens or plain ovens have the automated option of pre-heating where you just need to select the temperature and start the pre-heating.

If you do not have this option or want to do it manually, then just select the temperature as per your recipe and start the equipment with nothing in it for the specified time.

For e.g. a recipe might ask you to pre-heat oven for 2 minutes on 400 F.

Is there any difference in the taste of the food cooked in Microwave Convection vs Oven?

We have used both Microwave Convection and an Oven to bake our cakes. They are almost same. Standalone Oven is definitely better but microwave convection is nothing less too.

What this means is that you can very well use Microwave Convection to bake with no worries about the quality of baking. We have not found any considerable difference.

Here is the Veggie Pizza that we baked using Microwave Convection.

As a matter of fact, we have used pressure cooker to bake cakes with same level of quality as any other Over or Microwave-Oven!

You can check out on your own the Molten Lava Cake in Cooker and Chocolate Nuts Cake In Cooker recipes.

Can we use Oven recipe in Microwave convection without any changes?

You can use the same recipe in both microwave convection and microwave oven without any changes.

We have tried and tested various temperature settings while baking in both Oven and Microwave Convection and found them to be same.

Can we use the plastic based utensils for BAKING which are given FREE with Microwave Oven purchase?

Our experience with the FREE utensils is bad. They just melted away when we tried to bake but worked fine when we used it just for heating.

What this means is that the FREE ones are only good for microwave mode. They can’t be exposed to baking. You should buy Oven safe utensils for baking even in Microwave Oven.

It is possible that the utensils that you received FREE with your purchase are high quality products and are Oven safe. Please check the marking on the utensil base. If it is good for Oven, you can use it for baking. In our case, the FREE ones were not Oven safe.

How to differentiate between micro-waving (heating) and baking in microwave Oven?

Microwave Oven has a different mode to set before you start doing anything with it. Make sure that you have set the Oven/Bake mode before starting to bake.

Normally, the default mode is Microwave i.e. heating.

Can we grill on the glass turntable of the Microwave Convection Grill?

You can grill on the glass turntable of the microwave convection grill.

The only thing is that the lower portion of the food item may not grill well. So, it is obviously better to use a grill if you have it but not absolutely necessary.

Microwave Oven in India vs USA

In some countries like USA and UAE, Microwave Oven is not marketed as the one capable of baking.

The microwave oven and microwave convection look the same and hence do not get confused.

Open link in new window.

Please make sure that the device’s details do mark it as having ‘CONVECTION‘ mode (in addition to Microwave Oven), if you want to bake cakes, cookies and Pizza especially in India, Australia and UK.

If the Microwave Oven does NOT have ‘Convection’ mode, it is NOT capable of baking.

Baking Dishes That We Use

We use these basic baking dishes for all our recipes at inHouseRecipes:

#1 Bread Baking Pan – This rectangle pan is used for baking breads or bread shaped cakes.

Bread baking Dish

#2 Pizza baking dish – Circular pan with an opening in the middle. This helps in pushing out the Pizza easily after baking.

Pizza Baking Dish

#4 Cup Cake Baking Tray – Have small circular holes for baking multiple cup cakes at same time.

Cupcake bake pans

Use can buy a collection of these sets from Amazon easily in your country.

All Types of Baking Pans

Do you have anything to add to this article? Please share in the comments section.
Your suggestions/corrections and advises are most welcome.

Quick Tips

192 Useful Questions & Answers from comments

1. Yas S
    Yas S 27 Apr, 18 at 8:00 am

I have only used my microwave for the last 5 years to heat food, How can i grill and roast in the microwave

Anil Gupta 27 Apr, 18 at 1:15 pm

Your microwave should have those functions if it supports it.

• Yas S
        Yas S 27 Apr, 18 at 3:31 pm

It does have that option however, if i am grilling chicken should i use a combo of grill micro and convection

Anil Gupta 27 Apr, 18 at 3:53 pm

Convection mode is specially for ‘Baking’. For grilling chicken, i would recommend using grill + Micro mode.

• Yas S
            Yas S 27 Apr, 18 at 3:55 pm

Thanks 🙂

2. Thamizh Selvi
    Thamizh Selvi 18 Feb, 18 at 7:51 pm

Hi
    My black and decker convection oven mica wave was broken… Can I use the microwave oven without that?

Anil Gupta 19 Feb, 18 at 4:50 pm

I am not sure about this specific device. Please use the user manual to take a decision if it can be used safely with the broken part.

3. Sunil Jairath
    Sunil Jairath 8 Feb, 18 at 7:50 am

Very informative article. I have Borosil glass utensils, rectangular, round, square shaped plus round shape black coloured raised metallic platform. Can I use glass utensils for baking ? For what purpose, I can utilize metallic platform ?

Anil Gupta 8 Feb, 18 at 2:09 pm

If they all are marked ‘Oven Safe’ (both Glass and metallic), then you can use both for baking.

• Rtcowgirl
        Rtcowgirl 10 Apr, 18 at 5:52 pm

I don’t understand about the combination setting. Since it is getting hot, I’m supposed to use the metal turntable, right? But if it is microwaving and convection, how can we use metal turntable and metal baking dish without arcing?

Anil Gupta 10 Apr, 18 at 7:38 pm

Please read the device manual carefully on what container to use with respect to the cooking settings /mode you are using.

It is not possible for us to guide you with insufficient information about your device.

4. Trupti parmar
    Trupti parmar 4 Feb, 18 at 4:36 pm

I have Morphy rechard 25cg microwave oven with microwave+ convection mode combination. I don’t understand how to preheat it for 180°c n then bake for 35 mins. It always burns my cake. Please guide.

Anil Gupta 4 Feb, 18 at 5:01 pm

Pre-heat is nothing but starting the device in ‘Convection’ mode at 180C for 3 minutes.

Some devices have this pre-heat feature built-in, which helps to just press a button and do it. Check the user manual if your device has this feature.
      If not, you can just do it yourself.

• Trupti parmar
        Trupti parmar 5 Feb, 18 at 4:28 am

I send you the pic of my mwo function pad. Please guide how to do it by my self.

Anil Gupta 5 Feb, 18 at 2:12 pm

It is difficult to guess the steps just by looking at the picture. Each device has its own style.

Normally, you would select the temperature first, then set the timer (3 minutes) and then press ‘Start’. Keep the device empty for these 3 minutes and the device will be pre-heated.

5. Abhinav Lashkari
    Abhinav Lashkari 28 Jan, 18 at 11:05 am

nice article dear, but I stiil have some doubts about it. I am having old whilrpool micro, which is having rotatory swiches for both time and modes. having modes like 400, 450, 550 grill and fc. i understand that 400,450 and 550 is for microwave and i can not use metal in it. and grill mode is for baking purpose for I can not use plastic or any micro safe utencil.
    1. But can I use that rotatory plate while using bake function? is it safe as it is made of glass?
    2. can i use grill in fc mode?
    3. what is suitable container for making cake in fc mode?
    4. is it good for baking as a got grill only on top side?

Anil Gupta 28 Jan, 18 at 3:20 pm

First, to clarify, Grill mode is not equal to ‘bake’ mode. These two are different. You need ‘Convection’ mode in your microwave to support baking.
      1. You can use rotary plate even if it is made of glass.
      2. I am not sure what is ‘fc’ mode. Please clarify.
      3. I am not what ‘fc’ mode is. Hence, can’t comment on baking.
      4. Grill is not good for baking.

6. Tanya Bhatia
    Tanya Bhatia 10 Jan, 18 at 11:45 am

This is a really good article Anil! I have actually purchased a microwave+convection model recently and am facing some problems. It does not cook food from the bottom side. I have tried a few recipes and the result is the same. Even when I toast regular bred, it browns on the upper side and the lower side remains white and soft. The oven is a Godrej model. Please do give some suggestions. 🙂

Anil Gupta 10 Jan, 18 at 2:30 pm

Do you have a grill to keep inside your device?
      The problem here is that the heat is not properly reaching the bottom of the dish that you are trying to cook.

If you have a grill, you can keep the dish on top of it so that it helps heat move all around.

• Tanya Bhatia
        Tanya Bhatia 11 Jan, 18 at 4:50 pm

We have a grill mode but it has the same problem. There is a rod at the upper part of the model like ovens have. That works for the grilling function. As, for a separate grill, no I don’t have it.
        I am seriously considering returning the product. It’s less than a month old so they should take it back.
        And thank you so much for the quick reply!

Anil Gupta 11 Jan, 18 at 8:51 pm

Sure. Thanks for writing in.

7. Sinders
    Sinders 6 Jan, 18 at 11:30 am

I have just had a built in microwave/grill oven installed. The instruction booklet is not very easy to understand and I want to know if anyone knows of recipe books for this type of cooker. I suspect I need to partake in a little trial and error. However, I was wondering if, after cooking pastry in microwave mode, I then popped the grill on for a while, , I would then achieve the results I want. I do not like pale soggy pastry..

Anil Gupta 6 Jan, 18 at 3:52 pm

Your question is not clear to us. Can you elaborate on what exactly are you looking for?

• Sinders
        Sinders 7 Jan, 18 at 2:15 am

I have a new microwave oven that is combined with a grill.but not a convection oven. I wanted to try cooking a pie in it. I wondered if I could do this by combining the microwave with the grill feature in some way. It is a Zannusi oven snd has a dual cook feature but instruction book takes a bit of working out. Since my post I have Googled and have come across a special microwave dish that may allow me to cook pretty.much anything in microwave mode. I shall look into it further. Thank you.

Anil Gupta 7 Jan, 18 at 6:35 am

ok. Sounds good. Thanks for writing back.

8. TCB
    TCB 28 Nov, 17 at 8:40 pm

What’s the best way to bake (roast) veggies with convection? Can I use the standalone (non turning) shelf alone, or need to use a container on the round turning rack? My rectangular containers are too large to rotate on the round turning rack.

Anil Gupta 29 Nov, 17 at 4:28 am

The round turning rack is better as it helps roast from all sides.
      You can also you use the rectangular container though. It won’t make much difference.

• TCB
        TCB 1 Dec, 17 at 10:48 pm

Thanks. So confused with new appliance. Instruction book says to use shelf for Microwave; shelf tag says not to use for conventional microwave; other instruction books & websites say NOT to use shelf by itself for convection, only 2 tiered. I have no other oven, just the combo convection microwave. When I had a regular oven I could roast my veggies in the oven on a large cookie sheet (not microwave them). How do I (convection) roast veggies in a rectangular glass dish or cookie sheet that is too large to rotate. I cannot find this answer anywhere, just that veggies should be cooked in a microwave, not convection. Thanks!

9. Tia
    Tia 24 Nov, 17 at 4:10 pm

Hi, my oven is the Samsung Smart Oven. The max temperature is 200 celcius. I tried baking pizza but it turned out dense. After some research I understood that for pizzas you need a higher temperature oven. Is that true?

10. Rajshree Gidwani
    Rajshree Gidwani 28 Sep, 17 at 11:12 am

Hello Sir… I have microwave convection. But whenever I bake cake on convection , it’s not bake evenly.. I m not getting where is the problem .. many time the cake breaks from sides or sometimes the cake rise from one side and other side it doesn’t rise..sometimes cake become harder to from the corner… plz help me out from this..

Anil Gupta 28 Sep, 17 at 1:29 pm

There could be many reasons for this:
      1. The convection is not working correctly and is not throwing heat evenly on all sides. It is expected to do this.
      2. OR You are not mixing the cake batter and making it smooth with dropping consistency. Make sure you remove all lumps too.
      3. OR are you setting the right temperature and are you doing pre-heat properly? Sometimes, if you start baking without pre-heat, the cake will not rise.

11. Shangmila Kips
    Shangmila Kips 3 Jul, 17 at 8:34 am

4da 1sttime i bought bajaj otg 2200 micro oven so wat kind of utensil i can use?

12. Shabnam Khan
    Shabnam Khan 6 May, 17 at 8:55 am

Hi Anil
    Am using morphy Richards microwave convection. I generally use dessert 37 to bake cake.
    Can I use glass utensils to bake in that.

Anil Gupta 8 May, 17 at 2:19 pm

You can use glass utensils to bake but, we have seen that using non-glass bake-ware makes better cakes.

13. Preetha Sivakumar
    Preetha Sivakumar 1 May, 17 at 10:01 am

Hai anil,
    Im using Morphy Richards 25 CG MCG. It has two modes one is micro+conv and grill+conv.
    1. In micro+conv there is no preheating option.then how can i bake?
    2.whether i have to put seperate baking tray under baking pan above that glass rotating plate?
    3. If i use micro+ conv. Cake baked very fast say within 10 min and become very hard. Then what temp. Should i set in this mode?
    4.if i use grill+conv the top layer getting browned and the bottom not cooked properly.whether i have to put that baking tray while baking?(preheating available in this mode)
    5. To get away from top layer brown,shall we use silver foil while baking?(silver foil should be used from starting of baking or end of baking)
    Kindly clarify. I am new to baking. Thanks in advance.

Anil Gupta 1 May, 17 at 12:31 pm

Hi Preetha,
      1. You can simply start the device in ‘Micro+conv’ mode and let it run for 2-3 minutes empty. This will work as pre-heating.
      2. There is no need to have an extra baking tray between glass plate and baking pan.
      3. If the cake is baked fast in ‘Grill + conv’ mode, then set it for lesser time than 10 minutes. Keep a watch on the cake. As soon as you see it browning, you can place a silver foil on top to avoid browning any further.
      4. Answered in point 3 above. You can use any of the mode. If you feel more comfortable with automatic pre-heating mdoe, then use ‘Grill+conv’ mode. But, remember, grill will certainly throw more heat on top of the cake and that is why you are seeing the top getting browned faster.

The Micro+conv will throw heat from all sides and not only on top. That’s the reason, it will cook uniformly on all the surfaces.
      5. Answered in point 3 above.

Let us know if you need more information.

• Preetha Sivakumar
        Preetha Sivakumar 1 May, 17 at 3:08 pm

Thank u so much for ur early response Anil. These informations are more valuable for me.

Anil Gupta 1 May, 17 at 3:12 pm

You are welcome. Let us know if you need more information.

• Natasha
            Natasha 2 May, 17 at 12:19 am

Hi Anil,
            I need some advice on the topic “afadivits”. Wondering if you can help me.
            Other than going to the office where the POA was registered is there any other way of revoking it? Even if I did manage to go there would I need a copy of the POA given to a certain person? Please tell me what I should do.

Anil Gupta 3 May, 17 at 4:43 pm

Looks like you have asked this question on the wrong article. This page is about food and recipes.

• Shreya Adhikary
        Shreya Adhikary 28 Jul, 17 at 3:29 am

I have the same microwave oven from Morphy Richards 25CG and i face the same issue. THANK YOU so much for explaining this in details. But still i do have few queries Anil.
        1. What type of utensils to be used in Micro+Convention mode?
        2. Can i use Borosil Glassware, Aluminium baking pan or Steel Pan for baking in Micro-Convention Combi mode?
        I am very much confused about this cause Microwave oven mode always specifies us to use only glassware and microwave oven safe plastic wares for heating, and should not use steel or aluminium trays or containers.
        So which types should i use in Micro-Conv combi mode specially?

Anil Gupta 28 Jul, 17 at 5:34 am

Hi Shreya,
          1. Any utencil that’s marked as ‘Oven Safe’ can be used in Micro+Convection mode. Micro+Convection is normally used for baking, which requires high temperature for longer time. Hence, it is advisable to NOT use plastic or Steel, unless they are specifically marked as ‘Oven Safe’.
          2. You can use Borosil Glassware (make sure it is ‘Oven Safe’), Aluminium baking pan or Steel Pan are NOT recommended.

14. Pihu Mukherjee
    Pihu Mukherjee 8 Apr, 17 at 4:39 am

Hello anil, is it safe to bake cake in convection mode in a aluminium foil container?

Anil Gupta 8 Apr, 17 at 7:07 pm

Sometimes, we do use Aluminium foil to divert heat on specific portions of the dish.
      But, i would still advise to NOT use it if you are a beginner.

It is better to use a butter paper if your purpose is to avoid the dish sticking to the container.

15. Saranya Mohan
    Saranya Mohan 12 Mar, 17 at 8:25 am

Can I use teflon coated cake moulds in convection mode in my IFB microwave oven

16. Rajeshri Aneesh Ravindran
    Rajeshri Aneesh Ravindran 4 Feb, 17 at 6:46 am

Very well written. It solved all my queries on jst a single page.Phew! wat a relief! Saved me alot of time surfing!

Anil Gupta 4 Feb, 17 at 7:46 pm

You are welcome and we are glad it helped you.

17. paarth kapur
    paarth kapur 3 Feb, 17 at 7:54 pm

Can I make an Oreo cheesecake in a lg microwave which has convection and combi mode?

Anil Gupta 3 Feb, 17 at 9:41 pm

I don’t think you need to bake anything in cheesecake. Hence, you do NOT need any microwave at all for Oreo Cheesecake. It also depends on what recipe you are trying to use.

18. Jackie Nakangu
    Jackie Nakangu 29 Nov, 16 at 2:19 pm

yes, u can very well grill on the turntable glass, my mom always does it and it turns out perfect. just remember to turn the food in btn grilling for even cooking.
    some one please help me, is it ok to bake without the baking rack. my oven only came with the grill rack but has combi function which im dying to try out.

Anil Gupta 29 Nov, 16 at 2:57 pm

There is no issue in baking without a baking rack. But, the question is what utensil will you use to keep your stuff for baking (if it something like cake?)

19. Richa
    Richa 27 Nov, 16 at 6:38 am

Hi,
    Just wanted to check on the bakewares. I have come across articles which says Teflon coating or aluminium trays arent good for health.
    Also silicone moulds are smelly.. could you confirm what kind of bakewares are suitableto be used in convection mode

Anil Gupta 27 Nov, 16 at 8:48 pm

Hi Richa,
      We use standard utensils marked as ‘Microwave safe’ or ‘Oven Safe’.

There are many articles about various types of utensils and their pros and cons. It is up-to you which one you want to use.

• Jackie Nakangu
        Jackie Nakangu 29 Nov, 16 at 2:20 pm

are u saying can use any microwave safe dish for baking? please clarify on this. thnks

Anil Gupta 29 Nov, 16 at 2:56 pm

I would prefer ‘oven safe’ for baking in an oven specifically.
          We use ‘microwave safe’ mostly when we bake using a cooker or the baking is required for lesser amount of time like less than 15 minutes.

20. Neha
    Neha 22 Nov, 16 at 8:13 am

Hi Anil…I hv a LG microwave with all d function.i just want to know that can we put a cookies directly on the glass plate rather than on any tray…because I will make cookies first tym on this microwave…and also which mode should be used??

Anil Gupta 22 Nov, 16 at 3:03 pm

You can put them directly on d glass plate too. But, make sure you grease it with oil or butter.
      You should use micro+convection mode.
      You can also follow this recipe cookie recipe , if you want: