Matar Paneer is one of oldest and most frequently made dish in north Indian household. It is often regarded as the special menu item in vegetarian menu.Are you also fond of eating Matar paneer made the traditional way? If yes, here is simple and no frills recipe for easy cooking at home.
- 200 Gms Paneer
- 2 Number Tomato
- 1/2 Cup Green Peas Frozen or fresh
- 2 Number Green Chili
- 1/2 Tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Garam Masala
- 1/4 Tsp Coriander Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Mango Powder
- 3/4 Tsp White Salt
- 2 Tbsp Oil
- 1/4 Tsp Cumin Seeds Ground/Powder and Roasted
- 1 Pinch Asafoetida Hing
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 Tbsp Heavy Cream Fresh Malai/Milk Cream
2 min Prep
15 min Cook
Yield 2 Cup of Matar Paneer (good for 4 person)
Matar Paneer Recipe - Easy North Indian Veg Way
Amount Per Serving
Calories 492 Calories from Fat 360
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 40g 62%
Saturated Fat 20g 100%
Trans Fat 0.004g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 11g
Cholesterol 94mg 31%
Sodium 904mg 38%
Potassium 264mg 8%
Total Carbohydrates 13g 4%
Dietary Fiber 3g 12%
Protein 23g 46%
Vitamin A 46%
Vitamin C 76%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
- First of all, we will grind the Tomatoes and Green chilies together in a grinder. Grind to a smooth paste and keep them aside for later use.
- Cut the Cottage cheese paneer in small cubical shaped pieces. Keep aside.
Making the Curry
- Heat Oil in a pan on high flame.
- Once Oil is hot it would take about 1-2 minute to get hot, add Cumin seeds and Asafoetida. Wait until cumin seeds turn light golden brown in color.
- Once done, add Tomato paste (made in step 1) and let it cook for 2 minutes.
- After 2 minutes, add all the spices i.e. Red chili Powder, Coriander Powder, Turmeric Powder, Mango Powder and Salt.
- Mix them well and cook on medium flame for about 2-3 minutes.
- Now add frozen peas and mix well. Some people wash the frozen peas with warm water before using them. You can also follow that process. We generally add it directly.
- Add water. Keep the stove on medium flame and cook for 2-3 minutes more.
- Now add paneer pieces, Fresh Malai and Garam Masala. Mix well.
- Cover the lid of the pan and turn the stove to low flame. Keep cooking for another 3 minutes.
- After 3 minutes, switch off the stove.
- Matar Paneer is ready to enjoy. Serve it hot with Naan Or Tandoori Aloo Paratha.
Storage and Serving Suggestions
- Matar paneer can refrigerated and stored up-to 3-4 days. Remember, the gravy would get thick as the days pass. You can re-heat the sabzi using Microwave, just before serving.
- You can enjoy it with Indian breads like Garlic Naan or Paratha.
- Looking for more paneer options? You may like to try the all new Paneer Tikka Masala.
Recipe Recipe In English