The Vada with a hole is a famous snack and breakfast of South India. Although it is best enjoyed when it is submerged in Sambar and eaten with Coconut chutney, I simply love it and can even enjoy it without the coconut chutney and Sambhar.
- 1 Cup Urad Dal
- 1 Tsp White Salt As per taste
- 2 Number Green Chili Chopped
- 2 Pinch Baking Soda Bicarb – Meetha soda
- 2 Tsp Green Coriander Leaves (Cilantro) Chopped
- 1 Cup Oil or enough for frying
480 min Prep
15 min Cook
Yield 8 number
Vada Recipe - South Indian Style with a hole - Video
Amount Per Serving
Calories 287 Calories from Fat 270
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 30g 46%
Saturated Fat 4g 20%
Polyunsaturated Fat 3g
Monounsaturated Fat 22g
Cholesterol 2mg 1%
Sodium 338mg 14%
Potassium 79mg 2%
Total Carbohydrates 4g 1%
Dietary Fiber 1g 4%
Protein 1g 2%
Vitamin A 3%
Vitamin C 12%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Storage and Serving Suggestions
- Vada is normally served with Sambar. You sub-merge it completely and then use a use to cut pieces and eat.
- You can refrigerate vada's and re-heat in Microwave before serving.