Gatte Ki Sabzi Recipe - Gatte Fried In Water - Video
Gatte ki sabzi is a traditional Rajasthani dish and is made from Gram Flour. Gatte are fried in water instead of oil to make it more health friendly.
Ingredients For Gatte
- 1 Cup Gram Flour Besan
- 2 Tsp Curd (Yogurt) Non-sweet
- 2 Tsp Oil
- 1 Tsp Water
- 1 Pinch Baking Soda
- 2 Pinch Salt
- 2 Pinch Turmeric Powder
- 2 Pinch Red Chili Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/2 Liter Water For frying Gatte
Ingredients For Gravy
- 1 Tsp Poppy Seeds (khas-khas) Khus Khus
- 2 Tsp Peanuts
- 2 Tsp Dry Coconut Finely grated
- 1 Tsp Ginger paste Finely grated or paste
- 1/2 Cup Curd (Yogurt) Non Sweet
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- 1/2 Tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Black Pepper Seeds
- 2 Number Bay Leaves
- 2 Number Cloves
- 1 Tsp Coriander seeds
- 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 3/2 Cup Water
- To make Gatte: Tale a bowl and add Gram Flour, Curd and Oil.
- Add Salt, Turmeric, Red Chili powder, Cumin seeds and Soda Powder.
- Mix it well with your hand to make a tight dough. Just pour 3-4 drops of water after 1 round of mixing.
- Once dough is ready, pick small pieces and roll them into long sticks. 4 sticks would easily come out from this quantity.
- Cut these sticks into small pieces now called Gatte using a knife.
- Gatte needs to be fried now in water. Take a big bowl, add water and bring it to a boil on high flame. Cover it with a lid to make things happen faster.
- Add Gatte as soon as you see the boil in water for frying.
- Gatte will settle down at the bottom of frying pan initially. They are considered fried when they come up and start floating on top.
- They have now come up. Switch off the stove and take them out of water. Keep aside for use later.
- We now need to roast whole spices for Gravy. Take a frying pan, add 1 tsp Oil and heat it on high flame.
- Once Oil is hot, turn the stove on low flame.
- Add Coriander seeds, Cumin seeds, Bay leaves, Black Pepper, Clove, Poppy seeds.
- Add Peanuts and dry coconut too. Roast until it turns light golden brown.
- Once it turns light golden brown, switch off the stove and let it cool down.
- Roasted spices have cooled down. Add them to grinder along with 1/4 cup of water and grind into a smooth paste.
- Now take a big pan for making gravy. Add Oil and heat it on high flame.
- Once Oil is hot, turn stove on low flame. Add Ginger garlic paste and roast until it turns golden brown
- Add whole spices paste as soon as the Ginger Garlic turns golden brown.
- Mix well and roast until it separates itself from oil.
- Oil has separated, now add Red Chili powder, Turmeric, Salt and Curd.
- Mix well and let it cook for 1 minute.
- After 1 min., turn the stove on high flame. Add 1-1/2 cup water and bring it to a boil.
- After a boil, add fried Gatte and let it cook on medium flame for another 5 min.
- After 5 min., switch off the stove. Your Gatte ki sabzi is ready to serve! Enjoy..
The yellowish color of the Gatte Ki Sabzi really makes it eye catching and appealing. Try this Rajasthani sabzi in your main course meal.
- Refrigerate sabzi for about 2-3 days for best taste and results. Re-heat using a microwave before serving again.
Calories: 823kcalCarbohydrates: 67gProtein: 39gFat: 45gSaturated Fat: 11gPolyunsaturated Fat: 8gMonounsaturated Fat: 23gTrans Fat: 0.01gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 3059mgPotassium: 1194mgFiber: 14gSugar: 14gVitamin A: 300IUVitamin C: 10.7mgCalcium: 210mgIron: 9mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!