The Vada with a hole is a famous snack and breakfast of South India. Although it is best enjoyed when it is submerged in Sambar and eaten with Coconut chutney, I simply love it and can even enjoy it without the coconut chutney and Sambhar.
Vada – The Vada with a hole Recipe In Words
Yield: Vada – The Vada with a hole (Good for 2 people)- Approx. 6-8 Vada
- 1 Cup Urad dal
- 1 tsp or as per taste Salt
- 2 chopped Green Chili
- 2 Pinch Soda (Bicarb – Meetha soda)
- 2 tsp chopped Coriander leaves
- Enough -For Frying Oil
- Soak urad dal overnight in water.
- Start with grinding the dal to a fine paste in grinder.
- If the dal paste is thick, you can add 3-4 tsp of water to lighten it a bit and grind again.
- Finely chop the Green Chili so that they do not hurt while eating!
- Take a bowl, add Ural dal paste. Add 1 Tbsp of water and mix well.
- Add Salt, Soda, Green Chili and chopped Coriander leaves. Mix well.
- Beat the mixture for atleast 4-5 min.. This will help make the Vada soft and fluffy.
- After beating the mixture for 4-5 min., you will feel that the paste has expanded in size and has become light.
- Take a frying pan and add enough Oil and heat it on high flame.
- For making vada, apply water on your left hand palm. Pick a small portion from vada paste and keep on left palm.
- Now dip right hand’s index finger in water and make a hole in vada. Now carefully place this vada in frying pan.
- Fry until it turns golden brown fro both the sides on medium flame.
- Take out once it is golden brown.
- Vada with a hole is ready to serve. Enjoy it with Sambhar or Cononut Chutney.