Sponge Rasgulla Recipe – Bengali Rosogulla [Video]
Sponge Rasgulla or commonly known as white rasgulla is an awesome-awesome sweet dish and is pretty famous in India. The interesting part is that it is pretty easy to make with bare minimum number of ingredients of 3. You only need milk, sugar and Lemon to get the recipe going.
If you are wondering why Lemon is required, you would get to know once you watch the video. It is an important element required to extract milk solid from milk.
The Rasgulla that you made with this recipe is fresh, spongy and will simply melt in your mouth. They are best enjoyed fresh. You can also refrigerate them before serving as some people like to
eat them chilled.
Enjoy this recipe and do subscribe for more tried and tested recipes from inHouseRecipes.com.
Sponge Rasgulla Recipe In Words
Yield: 8 Sponge Rasgulla
- 1 liter Full cream milk (Whole milk)
- 1 Big Lemon
For sugar syrup
- 2 Tbsp Milk
- 1.5 Cup Sugar
- 3 cups water
- Keep milk in a pan and bring it to a boil. Keep the stove on high flame.
- Once you see the boil, switch off the stove and let the milk cool down to room temperature for 5 minutes.
- Add Lemon juice in Milk and keep stirring. You will see milk breaking up and the formation of small particles.
- You can use Fork to squeeze out Lemon juice easily with no Lemon extractor required.
- Keep adding Lemon juice gradually. Do not add all juice in one go. You can identify spoiled milk with its texture.
- Once milk spoiling is done, take a cotton cloth, a sieve and a bowl. Stack Sieve and cotton cloth on top of bowl.
- Pour spoiled milk in the cotton cloth to separate Chaina (milk solid particles) from milk water.
- Pick all four corners of cotton cloth and squeeze out the extra water.
- Now, pour 1 cup water on the milk particles to remove the Lemon flavor and smell.
- Squeeze out the water again. Cotton cloth plays an important role here as it does not allow the fine milk solids to rinse away.
- You can use the rinsed water to make Indian Kadi instead of throwing it away.
- The milk solids (called Chaina in Hindi) are ready. Take it out in a plate/tray.
- Now, we need to knead the milk solids for about 5 minutes to make it smooth.
- This kneading process helps in smoothing the milk solids thereby making soft and spongy Rasgulla.
- After 5 minutes, the milk solids would have smooth-ened. Now, roll it with hands to make a round shaped ball.
- Take out small Rasgulla balls out of this big ball. Roll them to make a round shaped ball.
- Small Rasgulla balls are ready. We now need to cook them with Sugar syrup.
- We have made around 8 Rasgulla out of 1 liter milk.
- Start with adding 1.5 cup Sugar and 3 cups water in pressure cooker. Bring it to a boil on high flame.
- Once you see the boil, add 2 Tbsp milk. Remove the white crust that comes up after adding milk.
- Now, we need to add Rasgulla in this Sugar syrup. Roll them with hands once again before adding.
- After adding all Rasgulla, close the cooker lid. Wait for 1 whistle on high flame.
- After a whistle on high flame, turn the stove on medium flame and let it cook for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, switch off the stove and open the cooker lid.
- Rasgullas will be ready and have increased in their size and volume.
- Let them cool down to room temperature. You can even refrigerate them before serving.
- Enjoy this super delicious Rasgulla and do subscribe to inHouseRecipes.com on YouTube.