Mughlai Kofta is a perfect blend of rich dry fruits with the tomato, cream and Khoya. It is simply irresistible to have it on your table and miss the bite with a Naan or lachha paratha. Have a bowl of pineapple raita to add to the overall taste!!
Wow…can’t wait to make it and have it too
Follow this restaurant style tried and tested recipe to re-create the same magic at home. You will definitely be able to impress your family and friends.
Mughlai Kofta Recipe In Words
Yield: 1 Big Bowl of Mughlai Kofta (Serves: 5 People)
- 150 gms Cottage Cheese (Paneer)
- 1 Cup Water
- 1/2 Cup Thick Curd/Yogurt
- 3/4 Cup Grated Onion
- 1 Cup Tomato Paste
- 2 Chopped Green Chilies
- 3/4 Tsp Salt
- 3/4 Tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Garam Masala
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- 7 Almonds (finely chopped into small pieces)
- 2” Inch Grated Ginger
- 2 Tsp Poppy Seeds (Khas Khas)
- 1/2 Cup Ricotta Cheese (Khoya)
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Carrot
- 1 Cup Chopped Potato
- 1 Cup Chopped French Beans
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Cream (Malai)
- 1/2 Cup Cornflour
- 4 Tsp Cashew Nuts (finely chopped into small pieces)
- 3 Tsp Raisins
- 1 Tsp Coriander Powder
Making Paneer Kofta
- We will start the process by boiling French Beans, Potatoes and carrot in a pressure cooker.Add 500 ml. of water in a pressure cooker with vegetables and keep the stove on high flame.
After 1 whistle, switch off the stove and keep aside the cooker until it has steam pressure in it.
- Once all steam has vanished from the cooker, take out the boiled vegetables in a sieve to drain the excess water.
- Now keep the boiled vegetables in a bowl and mash them with the help of a spatula. Keep aside for later use.
Making Mughlai Curry
- Now, we will start the process of making gravy for Mughlai Kofta by heating 1/2 Tbsp of Oil in a pan on medium flame for about a minute.Then, add Poppy Seeds and fry till they get light golden brown in color.
- Add grated Ginger and Onion. Mix well and cook until Onion changes its color to golden brown.
- Now add Tomato paste and chopped green chilies. Mix well. Keep the stove on medium flame.
- Add thick curd, Salt, Red Chili powder and Coriander powder. Mix well and cook till spices separate themselves from the oil.The oil would be visible floating around in pan easily when it has actually separated itself.
- Now add Water and mix well again. Wait till you see a boil and then turn the stove on low flame.
- Add grated Khoya (Ricotta cheese) and mix well. Cook on low flame for about 1 minute.
- Now add Cream and Garam masala. Mix well.
- It is right time to add the dry fruits (Almonds, Cashew Nuts) in our deliciously delicious aromatic Mughlai Gravy.Add only half the total quantity and save half for Paneer balls. Mix well and switch off the stove.
- Our gravy part is done, we will now focus on making Kofta (Paneer balls).
- Take mashed Paneer in a bowl. Add Raisins, Almonds and Cashew Nuts along with Salt.
- Also add Mashed boiled vegetables, which we prepared in first few steps. Mix all well.
- Add cornflour and mix well again.
- Add 1/4 Tsp of Garam masala, mix well.
- Take small quantity of this paneer mixture in your hand and roll it softly with the help of your both palms. You will get a smooth and light paneer mixture ball.
- Take 3 tsp of cornflour in a plate and slightly spread the cornflour over this prepared paneer ball.
- Heat approximately 500 ml of Oil in a pan on high flame. After approximately 4 minutes, Oil would get hot. Add paneer balls.
- Fry till they achieve perfect golden brown color (as shown) and then take them out of the Oil. Do this for all Paneer balls.
Mixing all together
- Now, heat the gravy and add the prepared Koftas. Mughlai kofta is ready to serve hot.
- Note: Add the Koftas in the gravy just before serving. Otherwise, Koftas will soak all the gravy if you keep them soaked.
- Enjoy Mughlai Kofta with Naan/Paratha/Chapati.