Makki Ki Roti and Sarson Ka Saag are the best known combination in North Indian Punjabi food. Come winters and we welcome it both hands. It is a traditional punjabi food and finds its roots deep in the authentic village cuisine.
Makki ki roti is best enjoyed with Jaggery (Gud) and White butter. Loads of butter and Gud taste really well with Sarson Ka Saag.
Makki Ki Roti Recipe Video In Hindi With English Subtitles
Makki Ki Roti Recipe In Words
Yield: 4 Makki Ki Roti (Good for 2 People)
- 1+1/2 Cup Maize Flour (Makki ka Atta)
- 1 Cup Fresh Fenugreek (Methi) Leaves (Optional)
- 1 Cup Warm water
- For Cooking Chapatis Pure Oil (Desi Ghee)
- To make Dough – Take a big container, add Maize flour, Fenugreek leaves and Salt. Mix well.
- Add small portions of warm water as required to make the dough. Mix the flour well with hand. Do not add all water in one go. The dough need to be smooth. It would take approximately 4-5 minutes to knead the dough.
- Once dough is ready, cover it with a bowl and keep aside for 5 min. This helps in softening of dough and make soft and crisp Chapatis.
- To make chapatis, take a pan and heat it.
- Let us start rolling the chapati for cooking on pan. Apply a small amount of water on your palm and roll the dough.
- Take a small portion from the dough. Apply few pinches of dry Maize flour on the chapati rolling pad.
- Now roll the dough portion with your hand slowly to give it a round shape like a chapati. Do not use rolling pin to roll the chapati as Maize flour dough is too soft and it will torn itself apart.
- Chapati is ready. Pick it up carefully and place on hot pan for cooking.
- Cook it on medium flame as high flame might burn the chapati.
- Cook from one side and then flip.
- In about 2 minute, both sides will be cooked. Now apply oil (ghee) on one side.
- Flip it and apply ghee on this side also.
- Cook until it turns golden brown from both sides.
- Makki ki roti is ready. Take it out of pan.
- Enjoy it with Jaggery (Gud), White butter and Sarson ka Saag. It tastes amazing.
If you would like to experiment with Makki Ka Atta, we have Maaki Atte Ka Halwa and a Makki Methi Poori for the food enthusiasts. They are simply great things to make if you are looking for something different to make on the same boring day!