Making desi ghee at home is a traditional thing in India. We ahve seen our daadi and naani making the daanedaar desi ghee from Milk Cream is an easy way.
Here is the same recipe for your to try yourself with all the steps explained in detail.
Desi Ghee Recipe Video In Hindi With English Subtitles
Desi Ghee Recipe From Milk Cream In Words
Yield: 2.5 Cup Desi Ghee
- 2 CupMilk Cream (Malai)
- We already have the milk cream available with us. If you want to extract cream from Milk, then you can take about 4 Litres (1 Gallon) of full-cream/Full-fat milk. Bring it a boil and then keep aside for cooling down to room temperature. Once it cools down, keep it in refrigerator for 1 day. You will see a good thick layer of cream on top of milk.
- Note: If you are making the ghee from milk cream in winter season, then make sure that you keep the cream out of refrigerator for about 7-8 hours. This is done to bring it down to room temperature. In summer season, this time reduces drastically to about 10 minutes.
Ans if you are in USA or UK or any other cold region and have controlled room temperature, you can follow the Indian summer guidance i.e. just 10 minutes is okay.
- Now, let us start the process. Take a big container and add all the cream. Start stirring it with a spatula and keep doing it until it solidifies.
- The cream will attain solid state after a while (About 5 minutes).
- Once you see the solid state, do not stop. Keep stirring as it will now start to leave out its water. Yes, you will see water separating itself from this milk solid.
- Once the water is visible, we reach a stage where we have the white butter and water in the container. You can also use this white butter as it is or move on with next steps to extract desi ghee out of it.
- Add 1 cup of water. This helps in washing out the smell of milk from white butter. Mix well once and then drain out the water.
- Now, we are left with only white butter in the container. Lets make desi ghee.
- Take a frying pan. Add white butter and keep it on stove with LOW flame.
- Butter will start melting and will form small white particles. Keep stirring to avoid burns.
- After about 5 minutes of cooking on low flame, the white particles will turn into light golden brown color.
- Once you see the light golden brown color, switch off the stove. Desi ghee is ready. We just need to filter out the brown particles.
- Keep the ghee aside to cool down to room temperature. It would take about 10 minutes.
- Once it cools down, filter out the brown particles with a Sieve.
- Desi Ghee is now ready for use. Enjoy!