Making Besan Dhokla In Cooker is a pretty simple process. It is an integral part of Gujrati menu and is loved and eaten in almost all parts of India. We make it quite often and enjoy it as evening snack along with Aloo Samosa and Tea.
There are basically two versions of dhokla. One made from Besan and other from Chana Dal. Here I present an easy recipe to make Dhokla with Besan (Gram Flour).
Although, besan again is a product of Chana Dal itself but the end product tastes a bit different when the ingredient is different!
Besan Dhokla In Cooker Recipe – Video In Hindi
Besan Dhokla In Cooker Recipe In Words
Yield: Approx. 250 Gms besan Dhokla (Good for 4 people)
- 1 cup Gram Flour
- 1/2 cup Curd
- 1 Pinch Turmeric
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 Chopped Green Chili
- 4 Green Chillies (Mark a cut in between them)
- 2″ Inch Grated Ginger
- 1/2 Tbsp Chopped Coriander Leaves
- 1 Tsp Fruit Salt (ENO – A brand available in India)
- 1-1/2 Tbsp Oil
- 1-1/2 Tsp Sugar
- 20 Leaves Curry Leaves
- 1-1/4 Cup Water (1/4 cup for making batter and 1 cup for seasoning)
- Take a bowl, add gram flour and curd gradually. Mix them well.
- Add 1/4 cup of water and mix well again. Keep aside the bowl for 4 hours to ferment. This step is optional. You can even use the Gram Flour straightaway without waiting for 4 hours. The video does ask you to wait for 4 hours but after experimenting, we found that waiting is not required.
- Transfer it to a bowl, add 1 Tbsp of oil, Salt and Turmeric. Mix well.
- Add finely chopped green chillies, grated Ginger and 1 tsp of Sugar and mix well.
- Take aluminium bowl. Grease it with oil completely from inner side. This will make sure that dhokla does not stick to the bowl. Keep the bowl aside.
- Add 1 tsp of fruit salt (ENO) in the batter and mix well.
- Batter is now fluffy and soft. Mix well and transfer it to a greased aluminium bowl immediately after adding fruits salt/ENO. This mixture is now ready for going into cooker.
- Lets prepare cooker for making dhokla. Fill 25% of pressure cooker with water and place 1 small half filled (with water again) bowl inside it.
- Place the dhokla’s aluminium bowl above the small bowl and cover the lid of the pressure cooker (do not put weight/whistle on the lid.
- Keep the stove on high flame and steam the Dhokla for 25 min.
- After every 5 min., check that all water has not evaporated. If this happens, add 2 cups of water again.
- After 25 min., besan dhokla would be ready. Take it out in a plate.
- Separate the Dhokla from the corners of the bowl, with the help of a knife.
- Take it out in a plate. Cut it in small pieces and keep it aside.
- Now we will prepare tadka for our delicious besan Dhokla.
- Heat 1/2 tbsp of oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds, curry leaves and green chilies. Cook on low flame.
- Add 1 cup of water. After mixing well, add 1/2 tsp of sugar and chopped coriander leaves. Cook on high flame for about 2 min.
- After 2 minutes, switch off the stove and spread the prepared green chili mixture on the dhokla pieces.
- Dhokla is ready to serve. Enjoy!
The besan dhokla in cooker is made in about 30 min.. If you are in hurry and have microwave, you an even make besan dhokla in just 5 minutes. Yes, it is true and microwave required is just the simple normal microwave i.e. NO baking/convection-mode or any other features required.