Making Besan Dhokla In Cooker is a pretty simple process. It is an integral part of Gujrati menu and is loved and eaten in almost all parts of India. We make it quite often and enjoy it as evening snack along with Aloo Samosa and Tea.
There are basically two versions of dhokla. One made from Besan and other from Chana Dal. Here I present an easy recipe to make Dhokla with Besan (Gram Flour).
Although, besan again is a product of Chana Dal itself but the end product tastes a bit different when the ingredient is different!
Besan Dhokla In Cooker Recipe In Words
|Yield:||Approximately 250 Gms Besan Dhokla (Good for 4 people)|
For Besan Dhokla
- 1 cup Gram Flour(Besan)
- 1/2 cup Curd(Dahi)
- 1 Green Chili(Finely Chopped into very small pieces)
- 1 Pinch Turmeric
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 2″ Inch Ginger(Grated into fine paste)
- 1 Tsp Fruit Salt (ENO – A brand available in India and ON Indian stores outside India)
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- 1/4 Cup Water(1/4 cup for making batter and 1 cup for seasoning)
For Dhokla Seasoning
- 1/2 Tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 4 Green Chilies (Each sliced into two pieces vertically)
- 1/2 Tbsp Coriander Leaves(Chopped)
- 1-1/2 Tsp Sugar
- 20 Leaves Curry Leaves
- 1 Cup Water
Preparing Dhokla paste
- Take a bowl, add Gram flour, Curd and 1/4 cup of water. Mix well.
- Keep aside the bowl for 4 hours to ferment.
NOTE: This step is optional. You can even use the Gram Flour paste straightaway without waiting for 4 hours. The video does ask you to wait for 4 hours but after experimenting, we found that waiting is not required.
- Add 1 Tbsp of Oil, Salt, Turmeric, finely chopped Green Chilies, grated Ginger paste with 1 tsp of Sugar. Mix well.
Preparing Dhokla Baking Bowl/Tin
- Take an Aluminium bowl. Grease it with Oil completely from inner side. This Oil quantity is not mentioned in above ingredients. Use the quantity according to the size of your bowl.
Greasing will make sure that Dhokla does not stick to the bowl. Keep the bowl aside.
- Add 1 tsp of fruit salt (ENO) in the Dhokla paste and mix well.
- Dhokla paste is now fluffy and soft. Mix well and transfer it to a greased aluminium bowl immediately after adding fruits salt/ENO. This mixture is now ready for steaming in pressure cooker.
Steam/Bake Besan Dhokla in Cooker
- Fill 25% of pressure cooker with water and place 1 small half-filled (with water again) bowl inside it. Water in the small bowl is important to help it stand stable in the outside water. The outside water should not cross the neck of this bowl.
- Place the Dhokla’s aluminium bowl on top of the small bowl and cover the lid of the pressure cooker (do not put weight/whistle on the lid.
- Keep the stove on high flame and steam the Dhokla for 25 minute.
- After every 5 minute, check to see if water has not completely evaporated. If this happens, add 2 cups of water again.
- After 25 minute, Besan Dhokla would be ready. Switch Off the stove and open the cooker lid.
- Take out the Aluminium bowl.
- Separate the Dhokla from the corners of the bowl, with the help of a knife.
- Take it out in a plate. Cut it in small pieces and keep it aside.
Making Dhokla Tadka/Seasoning
- Heat 1/2 Tbsp of Oil in a pan for about 30 seconds on high flame.
- Add Mustard seeds, Curry leaves and sliced Green chilies. Turn the flame on low.
- After 30 seconds, add 1 cup of water. After mixing well, add 1/2 tsp of sugar and chopped coriander leaves. Cook on high flame for about 2 minutes now.
- After 2 minutes, switch off the stove and pour this mixture on the Dhokla pieces evenly.
- Besan Dhokla is now ready to serve. Enjoy!
The besan dhokla in cooker is made in about 30 minute. If you are in hurry and have microwave, you can even make Besan dhokla in just 5 minutes. Yes, it is true and microwave required is just the simple normal microwave i.e. NO baking/convection-mode or any other features required.